Saturday, February 23, 2013

How to make your own gummy candy!

I know it's been a while since I've blogged.. I hope to post a few more in the near future. I thought I'd share how I made gummies today! I hope I'm not the only adult out there that still likes to eat candy. But even if I am, maybe your kids would enjoy these. I am sick of the typical store bought gummy flavors so I thought this would be a nice change.

It was pretty quick and easy to do. I made four batches today in no time at all. I got the recipe from here but he kinda talks a lot and seems to over-complicate things, so I thought it would better to just cut to the chase. He has a few extra tips though if you are interested. Anyway here's what you will need for one batch:

-one package of flavored jello in the flavor and brand of your choice
-3 packets of unflavored gelatin (there are 4 packets to a box)
-1/2 cup of water
-one teaspoon of vitamin c powder or crystals (or a 500 milligram pill crushed up)
-a pot to boil water in
-a Pyrex measuring cup to go inside the pot (or just use a double boiler if you happen to have one)
-silicone candy molds or ice cube trays or something of that nature that you want the shape of your candy to be in


So I just put some water in the pot (maybe fill it up a third to halfway up), and measured out 1/2 cup water in the pyrex cup and set the cup right inside the pot. I then turned the burner up to high so the water could start heating up. Then I added the 3 packets of unflavored gelatin and one package of flavored jello to the water in the pyrex cup and stirred it all together.
Once the water in the pot has been boiling for a minute or two, the jello mixture should liquify completely. Now you can stir in your teaspoon of vitamin c and turn off the burner. The vitamin c is ascorbic acid, which gives the candy a little bit of a bite, just a tiny amount of sour, which makes it taste just right. Without it, The gummies turn out too sweet and taste no different than just eating jello. So while you can make the gummies without the vitamin c, I strongly recommend you use it! Besides, vitamins are good for you. XD

Once the powder is nicely mixed in, you can go ahead and pour the candy into whatever mold you have for it.

One batch takes up about 3 small molds like the ones in my pictures. (I had extra leftover not pictured..which I just poured into a cup and made it into a giant gummy which I gave to Jason haha!)or you can just go ahead and drink the rest once it cools a little bit.. not that I would ever do that *cough cough*. You can always use a paper towel to dab up any extra that missed the mark. If you don't feel confident pouring the mixture into the little molds, you can use a syringe. Its less messy that way, but tedious, and not everyone has a syringe laying around.
Now you can leave them out on the counter to set, but preferably move them carefully into the fridge. If in the fridge, they will set quickly and should be ready to eat in half an hour to an hour. You can tell if they are set by poking them. If they are really sticky, they aren't done yet. If you used silicone molds like I did, the gummies will just pop right out with very little effort. And that's all there is to it!



The amounts are variable of course, like if you want extra chewy gummies, start out with less water. like 1/3 of a cup. if you want super sour gummies, add more vitamin c. You can store them in a ziploc bag or a tupperware container. I left mine out uncovered overnight and they got a little dried out. (still tasty though, just chewier.)
You could also experiment with different flavors of fruit juice in place of the water.
For any spills- I just carefully dab a paper towel, sponge or rag into the hot water in the pot, and use that to wipe up any spills. The hot water turns the candy back into liquid so it's very easy clean up.
The silicone molds aren't too hard to find if you look on amazon, but you might even be able to get them at the dollar store or walmart or probably lots of places. They can also be used to make fun shaped ice cubes or chocolate. I would recommend getting molds with more delicate thin shapes like the gummy worm shaped one in my picture. Those are more enjoyable to eat than a big chunky piece of gummy is. The smaller the shapes, the better IMO. I think it would be fun to get different themed molds for parties or holidays. I hope you guys will try this out!

No comments:

Post a Comment